Here is a list of all posts.
- When time and sound stand stillSomehow, the owl is translucent, supernatural, a mirage, an apparition, yet at the same time more real than anything else I can remember.
- Really, who actually needs a clock or watch these days?Do we really need clocks and watches these days? Digital displays tell you what time it is. But they don't tell you what time it has been or what time it is going to be.
- Something to celebrate – year after yearA story about one brilliant marketing idea that changed everything for the 400-day clock.
- Fantastic foxes – fascinating fox factsA fox can hear a ticking watch from a distance of 60 feet. But there are more extraordinary facts about foxes that deserve a mention.
- Pick of the Clocks? More ‘Clock of the Picks’!Every clock has its own story to tell. This one keeps its mystery, for now. I need the help of some ancestry detectives to reveal it.
- Matters of life and death – a winter walkEarly in our adventure we encountered a red legged partridge, sitting like a small boulder on the clay mud track. Baggy tried to look nonchalant as we approached it while he stood guard.
- History – maybe it’s all just smoke and mirrorsAs we think back over our own histories, I wonder how much of what we remember is imagined. Or how much of what we attribute as motive or hidden thought in others is actually just driven by our desire to support the narrative we choose to create.
- That worrying moment of no return…Dismantle things and will you ever manage to put them back together again? Face that worrying moment of no return.
- Putting a name to a face – and why it mattersPutting a name to a face matters. But who minds if you spell a name incorrectly? Seemingly not precision clockmaker Neddey Wells. Hard to believe.
- Butterflies – the Yorkshire Moors and the question of destinyAlways a birdwatcher, now I have a new diversion – the spectacular, inspirational flight of butterflies making their way purposefully across the glorious Yorkshire landscape.
- Unless you already know the answer, finding it isn’t easyThe internet can be irritating. Sometimes instead of telling you what you want to know, it tells you what it thinks you ought to want to know.
- Everybody’s Nan had one – with the utmost satisfaction guaranteedHow a sad unwanted clock at auction revealed the rich language of a bygone age.
- Grandfather clock or Longcase clock? Here’s one ‘going for a song’Longcase or Grandfather clock? A song, a Yorkshire pub and a legend in the making,..
- Remember that first time holding hands – how time stopped?Hands intertwine. And it is one reason why a clock, and time, stops. Here are some simple steps to fix the problem.
- Telling TimesWould this venture ever have seen the light of day had it not been for Coronavirus and the whole notion of lockdown?